Sunday, December 20, 2009

Chicken Pot Pie

I saw this recipe on my friend Devynn's cooking blog, and I have made it several times since then. The good thing about chicken pot pie is you can use whatever you have on hand, so we have never made the exact same one twice. Sometimes I make my own pie crust, sometimes I use pillsbury biscuits on top, and this is the easiest and tastes the best: bisquick mix on top. This particular time, I was lame and used a store bought crust because I had no time to make one.
Anyway, here is the recipe for the inner goods:

CHICKEN POT PIE
Prep: 40 minutes Bake: 35 minutes 6 servings
Oven: 425 degrees Pan: 9x9x2

1 package (10 ounces) frozen peas and carrots (or whatever veggies you want to use, broccoli is REALLY good in this)
1/3 cup butter or stick margarine
1/3 cup flour
1/3 cup chopped onion
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 3/4 cup chicken broth
2/3 cup milk
Pastry crust: make your own or use store bought

1. Please frozen veggies in a bowl and cover in cold water to separate (drain before adding)
2. Melt butter in 2-quart saucepan over medium heat. Add flour, onion, salt and pepper (makes a roux). Cook and stir constantly until mixture is bubbly, remove from heat and stir in broth and milk. Remember to remove from heat so you don't scald the milk. Return to heat and oil, stirring constantly. Boil and stir 1 minute. Stir in chicken and veggies, remove from heat.
3. Heat oven to 425 degrees.
4. Make pastry (I do this first) roll two-thirds of hte pastry into a 13-inch square. Ease into an ungreased 9x9x2. Pour chicken mixture into pastry-lined dish.
5. Roll remaining pastry into 11-inch square. You can cut out designs and stuff with a cookie cutter and make it all pretty, I just cut slits in the top on the diagonalto let air vent. Turn edges of the pastry and cut off the excess.
6. Bake about 35 minutes or until golden brown.





My hubby adores this recipe, and we usually serve it with mashed potatoes. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment